Wednesday, March 24, 2010

American Idol made me laugh!

I do not watch American Idol but I happened to be watching it tonight (just to see if a fellow high school girl would make it into the top ten (she did)). I must ask: Is this the kind of entertainment America likes these days? I am not speaking of the contestants. I have not heard any of the contestants and therefore, am not able to give my opinion. Rather I refer to a HUGE celebrity with the name Miley Cyrus.

Her performance started out rocky but, hey, most live performances do. But it did not seem to get better. Then I thought she had tripped…but it turns out it was her getting into the music (or choreography?). Hubby said: “I don’t think I like this song.” I said: “I love the song. I think it would be a great song if someone else sang it. She’s ruining it.”

I must admit I have never enjoyed Miley’s voice and I finally figured out why. To me it always sounds like her nose is congested. Is it just me that feels this way? Why is she so popular? Oh, right, because of Hannah Montana? Yes, the pre-teen television show was cute. I enjoyed it…but…this “sexy, grown up” Miley singing “real” songs just is not working.

Ok, I have a beef against celebrities. I just get irritated how obsessed we, the people, consume our lives with what Hollywood celebrities are doing. Who cares?!? Celebrities are so consumed with their image and their status. How many times do they need to celebrate themselves in one year? SAG, Grammys, Globes, Emmy’s, etc, etc, etc. Once in a while a celebrity comes along that truly is talented (and has their head on their shoulders), and can make a difference in a role they play, in the music they perform. (I can’t really see a sport’s star making a difference…though I am sure I can be proven wrong. Perhaps someone physically handicapped becoming a sport’s icon….just an example)

My point? I don’t know. I just don’t like celebrities and I don’t like how obsessed everyone is about them. They do not portray real life. Make your life your own—not Hollywoodized.

No comments: